Free Spiritual Sermons and Articles

We have sermons and articles here from Universal Life Church ministers and other great thinkers on the internet. Please enjoy the articles, lessons and sermons from our Online Seminary.

Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

Universal Life Church

The Faith of Sheep

It is an intriguing thought to consider a prevailing theme throughout scripture, that being the theme as the Lord being a shepherd and his people being sheep. Without a doubt this is a product of the fact that two of the major characters of scripture spent their formative years tending sheep, giving them a unique view and perspective on this symbiotic relationship.

As I prayed Psalms 23 this morning, I turned in my Bible to this passage that is favored by all of his sheep. One thing that struck me as I read, prayed and imagined the implications of this psalm, were these statements of declaration and the sheer positive force in each and every word.

When you read the psalm below notice the forceful words and declarations for what they are. This is not the words of a man wondering if he was going to be alright or if God loved him. These are words of a man who knows his God and his ability to see him through to the end. As I read these words, it struck me with such a powerful force; the simplistic faith of the Lords Sheep. I truly believe from experience this faith springs from the heart of sheep when they have been walking by the shepherd. These are not lessons appreciated when you are on the edge of the flock, wondering beyond his voice to reach you. These are words of a sheep that found the shadow of the Shepherd.

Ps 23:1-6
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


Today, remember a few simple lessons of the sheep.

First, the Lord is the Shepherd and a good shepherd at that.

The Lord will give you rest and refreshment.

He is a God of Restoration that will lead you into places of righteousness.

No matter the shadow of suffering that may cross your path, you have nothing to fear, for his Rod and his staff protect you from the desires of your enemies. If the Devil could get you, you would have done been got.

He is a God of abundant provision.

He is a God that will anoint your head, inspire your mind, protect your thoughts and prosper your way.

And hear these last words of a sheep that knows his shepherd.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

It is my desire today to walk in the shadows of this my Shepherd.

In Him, by Him, Through Him,

Scott Phillips





Ps 95:7
7 For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,
(KJV)

Ps 100:3
3 Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
(KJV)

Ps 79:13
13 So we thy people and sheep of thy pasture will give thee thanks for ever: we will shew forth thy praise to all generations.
(KJV)

Ps 80:1
1 Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock; thou that dwellest between the cherubims, shine forth.
(KJV)

Isa 40:11
11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
(KJV)

Ezek 34:30-31
30 Thus shall they know that I the LORD their God am with them, and that they, even the house of Israel, are my people, saith the Lord GOD. 31 And ye my flock, the flock of my pasture, are men, and I am your God, saith the Lord GOD.
(KJV)

John 10:3-5
3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
(KJV)

John 10:14-16
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. 15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
(KJV)

Acts 20:28-29
28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. 29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
(KJV)

1 Pet 2:25
25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
(KJV)

*******************************

The Universal Life Church is a comprehensive online seminary where we have classes in Christianity, Wicca, Paganism, two courses in Metaphysics and much more.

Ordination with the , is free,  and lasts for life, so use the Free Online Ordination, button.We also offer many free wedding ceremonies for your use.


 
The  ULC, run by Rev. Long, has created a chaplaincy program to help train our ministers. We also have a huge catalog of Universal Life Church materials.  I've been ordained with the Universal Life Church for many years and it's Seminary since the beginning and have loved watching the continual growth of the seminary.
 
Try our new free toolbar at: ULC Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment